Tuesday 7 September 2010

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole Movie Screening by Advertlets & Warner Bros.




Owls an extremely common example of nocturnal animals, has about 200 species around the world. Choosing a favourite species was certainly tough. (Honestly, owls are not in my list of passion). So with a little bit of reading, Though many of my friends call me an owl for my nocturnal sleeping behaviour some times as well as how many pronounce my last name; 'Aw' which give a similar sound like the word 'owl'.

I found a particular species that I am attracted to by its name. Sadly, the species is now extinct. The owl is called 'Laughing Owl' or also known as Whēkau or White-Faced Owl commonly found in New Zealand in the 19th century. Known for the dismal shrieking sound it made, it was named the Laughing Owl. Well, out of 200 species of owl, why this as my favourite? The name in particular; Laughing attracted me. Laughing has always been a big part of my life and when I laugh, there is no stopping me. Hence, what else could be better than an owl who produces 'a sort of similar sound'.

An extremely unique feature of the Laughing Owl is it prefer to actually catch its prey on feet rather than hunting by wing. How UNIQUE! With the two small legs, it has the ability to hunt!

However, the last of the Laughing Owl was seen in 1914 and then it was heard no more. Perhaps, one lesson that could be learn is that many animals are facing extinction and many others have extinct. Laughing Owl extinct as it has gradually been replaced by cats etc as pest controller. Though environmental changes is not the reason for extinction, the world needs a change and an improvement in our environment to stop the extinction of many other species of animals other than the owl.

The last time a Laughing Owl was rumoured to be heard was in 1985 when campers heard the laughing of a mad man. No prove was found though. Today, if you hear a laughter of a mad man, it maybe one of the Laughing Owl or maybe its just my laughter. =p



Contest courtesy of Advertlets.



No comments:

Post a Comment